Monday, July 22, 2013

My son's nursery, can you see what I'm hiding in there?

Can you tell what's being hidden in my son's nursery?
Stuffed animals, they are in the teepee; you can't see them. He has so many he can't go into the teepee any more because of the over population. So, I've had to come to the hard decision of letting go of some and keeping others.
What should I keep? I honestly  think 60% of the stuffed animals are mine, from when I was a child. Each holding a special memory; making it impossible for me to discard. So, those stuffed animals are staying.
What's left? Those stuffed animals that people have given my son. This is the hard part, there are some toys I like and others I don't. Since some were gifted from relatives I feel compelled to keep them. What should I do? is a question I keep on asking myself. Should I have an 'accident' happen to them that will allow me to remove the toy without guilt? Do I give the toy to another child to lessen the guilt? ugh! I need to come up with a plan because those toys make up 40% of the stuffed animal population.
What about future toys? To be honest I feel like sending a text over the holidays stating that stuffed animals will no longer be accepted as gifts. Even though I want too, I feel that would open up a HUGE can of worms.
How can I discourage those gifts? I feel if I don't put a stop to it I will end up with a zoo of toys I don't want. And I will have to get rid of them in a sneaky way which will taint my clean conscious.
I do have a plan to hide some of the toys and make room in the teepee. Although i'm still in the planning stages I hope I will be able to do it.
What will I end up doing with the unwanted stuffed animals? I will go through all of them and pile them into three piles: keep, maybe, gone. Those in the gone pile will be placed in 30-gallon bags and stored into the garage until I can figure out what to do with them next. It's my consciousness that keeps me from just getting rid of them.
I did think of taking a picture of my son with the unwanted stuffed animals as a memory of the toy. Though, doing that I feel would be a constant reminder and what if that picture is seen and questions start about the location of the toy? Part of it is that my husband refuses to get rid of them, since most were gifted from his side of the family. He's not the one who has to maintain order in that nursery and doesn't understand how much valuable space they take up. I don't want to start a fight with him either over stuffed animals. See my dilemma !

No comments:

Post a Comment