Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cleaning My Front Load Washer with Vinegar and Baking Soda

My clothes lately have not been Downy fresh; which makes me so upset because I want things to smell clean and fresh. In one week I do 8 loads of laundry. One day of the week I wash whites, dark colors, red colors, towels, baby clothes and kitchen towels. The rest of the week I wash pet blankets. We currently have two puppies that make huge messes and require a new clean blanket daily. The smell is driving me nuts and all of the work I put into doing laundry I feel I need to do something about the smell. So, I looked on Pinterest on how to clean front load washers. After reading some pins, I decided to go with baking soda and vinegar. Unfortunately, my washer does have a 'clean washer' setting. I decided to test my own method and see if it works for my machine too. 

Used: 1 Cup of Rice Vinegar (No regular vinegar at home) and 1 Cup of Baking soda
Set the washer to 'normal wash,' low spin, hot water and added the cup of vinegar to all the washer compartment trays. This cycle ran for 46 min

Then, I ran the same cycle but I sprinkled the baking soda in the washer.

Results: 
I was in a total panic after the vinegar wash. Everything smelled like vinegar! After the baking soda wash, the vinegar smell was gone. The washer machine does smell better but I think I will need to do it a few more times before the smell is all gone. Definetly worked but I wonder if there is something else other than vinegar I can use ?

Note: I also cleaned the rubber seal on the door. Omg, slimy dirt came off. Define try to clean it regularly ! I sanitized mine with an alcohol wipe.






No comments:

Post a Comment