Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Fleece headband - my first attempt

My baby is due this winter so I've been trying to figure out how to make fleece headbands ... this is my first attempt.

First lesson, fleece does not stretch as much as t-shirt material therefore you need longer pieces than a regular headband.

Second, I googled the circumference of a newborn and found. 
"The average newborn’s head circumference measures about 13 3⁄4 inches (35 cm), growing to about 15 inches (38 cm) by one month. Because boys tend to be slightly larger than girls, their heads are larger, though the average difference is less than 1⁄2 inch (1 cm)."

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/pages/First-Month-Physical-Appearance-and-Growth.aspx

Therefore my fleece material should be cut larger than +14 inches to accommodate the first month at least.

Third, the most you can stretch fleece is 1.5-2 inches and that is by pulling the material. So, be prepared to use more material than usual.

Here are my first steps: 
This should fit a newborn.


Step 1:
Cut a piece of fleece 14 inches by 3 inches.
(Top-piece pictured is stretched out to 16 inches. It was cut 14 inches just like the bottom piece.)



Step 2:
Took the ends and sewed them together by hand. 



Step 3:
Made a bow by cutting two fleece squares. One slightly larger than the other one. Mine were 2.5" and 2.75 inch squares.
And cutting a strip of felt to tie them together.








Step 4:
Wrapped the bow around the site where I stitched the headband together. Sewed the ends to secure the bow.





That's it. This is my first fleece headband.





No comments:

Post a Comment