Sunday, September 15, 2013

Chihuahua puppies ready for adoption.

My chihuahua, chiquita, fell in love with a stray chihuahua, peanut. We made the bad assumption that she had been fixed and didn't worry too much about them (a woman at the mall gave her to me when I was 8 months pregnant). So, the months passed and to our surprise she was pregnant ! We prepared for puppies and long story short. After an emergency trip  to the vet, we ended up with 2 puppies.
We loved them dearly, but with 5 other dogs, 2 cats, a toddler and baby #2 on the way we had to make the decision to put them up for adoption. I can't tell you how difficult it has been for me. This has truly been a very hard lesson learned. 

First, finding a new home. I of coarse asked friends and family. Then, placed an ad on Craig's list. Okay, so after a couple of responses on Craig's list I was freaked out and realized how many scary people are out there. I was able to find a rescue organization who would vaccinate, spay/neuter and place them for adoption at petsmart and of coarse screen each applicant. I also had the  option to foster the puppies while they waited to be adopted. Yes! It worked out and that was a huge relief. I was even able to meet the adoption parents. I cried like crazy and I still can't stop worrying about them. The right decision was made and I did my best to find them a good home. 

Our dog peanut has been fixed and there will not be any more puppies in this house. Especially after learning through the rescue organization that shelters will euthanize pregnant dogs. I can't tell you how difficult this has been for me. We were lucky to find them good homes but others aren't that lucky. Please, learn from our mistake and spay/neuter your pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment